Social housing organisation uses
employee engagement platform to improve customer satisfaction and employee communications
Learn more about the changing employee engagement landscape and how to better connect with your workforce with recognition and communication tools.
In order for the team at Tower Hamlets Homes to reach their engagement goals, they identified four key aims: Increasing employee engagement, introducing new wellbeing initiatives, improving customer satisfaction and decreasing customer complaints across the board.
Number of employees:
Male to female ratio:
Number of Locations:
Employee benefits, employee wellbeing, Childcare Vouchers
As a result of the company being created through a staff transfer from the local council, Tower Hamlets Homes (THH) lacked a distinctive company identity and hadn’t changed its benefits offering in 10 years. After conducting a staff opinion “pulse” survey in February 2018, the team discovered only 57% of staff were proud to work for THH. This fueled the need for a revamp of THH’s current benefit offerings, for stronger employee communications and an overall need to improve employee engagement.
Offering staff reasonable pay increases is a challenge in the public sector, but there were other ways to increase engagement. THH staff mentioned “reward and recognition” as an area the company could improve on in an October 2017 staff workshop. On top of that, THH needed to support its highly dispersed workforce. While 47% of employees didn’t have access to an office or a computer, the other 53% were spread across four offices. This meant communication needed to be thoughtful, strategic and reach all employees with the same message in different formats.
Lastly, THH wanted to encourage its staff to take greater personal ownership of the customer experience. Feedback from customers showed that 20% of leaseholder complaints received in 2017 related to the quality of THH’s communication and customer-handling experience. By giving staff greater ownership over the employee experience in terms of pay, benefits and
In order to streamline employee communications, benefits and
The organisation brought its new brand to life by mixing together its corporate “THH” with “buzz” to create a new brand name for the employee engagement platform, called “THHbuzz.” This new site would engage employees with a blend of photography of its homes and cartoon imagery.
Before the launch of the new employee engagement platform, the THH team created a teaser campaign with branded emails and posters to all staff to enhance communication of the new offering. Then, “staff champions” were identified and were granted pre-access to the site to help colleagues post-launch.
To deliver the message in-person about THHbuzz, the team launched wellbeing and benefits in phase one, and recognition in phase two, helping tailor the right message at the right time. On the day of the launch, senior managers attended seminars which were led by “team THHbuzz” experts. Branded merchandise reflected the “honey” theme and
Due to the success of the launch campaign and a mix of targeted employee communications, the platform had a successful launch. By using the analytics tool through the THHbuzz platform, the team discovered that 30% of the workforce registered on the employee engagement platform within the first 12 days of the initial launch.
Although THH is in an early stage of implementation, the company is anticipating seeing a positive impact on the proportion of staff who say they’re proud to work for THH. Higher employee engagement will lead to higher customer satisfaction and fewer customer complaints as a result of effective employee communications and a streamlined platform to house THH’s new offerings.
of workforce registered on engagement platform in first 12 days
in awareness of benefits offerings through communication